by HSI Professional | Jan 29 2017
It's true what they say, a change really is as good as a rest. When you start getting tired of your current hair color, breaking out the professional curler or wearing your hair in a different style will only help you keep interest for so long. Eventually, it will need to be changed. However, did you know that your skin tone affects the way a color looks on you? Read on to find out more.
Ever Find A Hair Color Doesn't Suit You?
Ever went to the salon, had your hair color changed, and found that it really doesn't suit you? It's not the stylist's fault, it's your skin tone that's making the difference. Depending on your skin tone, your hair color can even make it vibrant or dull it down. The next time you want to switch things up, you need to know what your skin tone is before you start picking from the sample books.
How To Find Out Your True Skin Tone
Luckily, it's really easy to find out what your skin tone is. Flip your wrist and look at the palm of your hand. You're looking for the veins in your hand and the underside of your wrist. See them? Now, determine what kind of color they are. If they appear to be blue or purple, then you have cool undertones. If they appear to be a greenish color, then you have warm undertones. If you really can't tell if they're one shade or the other, congratulations! You have neutral undertones, and pretty much any color will suit you.
Picking A New ColorSo now you know your undertone type, you can head to the stylist armed with this information. They'll be able to advise you on colors they think will work, and it's worth listening to them. Check out this list first though, to see if any colors strike your fancy. Maybe you'll see a color that you've never considered before!
- Ash Blond: If you have cool undertones with any hint of red, then a brighter blond could be for you. This includes champagne, ice and platinum blond. Think Gwen Stefani or Taylor Swift. It will cancel out any redness in your skin, and is very much on trend. If you do go this route, remember to use a purple shampoo to keep the color from yellowing.
- Warm Blond: If you have fair skin with cool undetone,s consider going for a warmer blond. Butterscotch, caramel or amber are all good choices. If you have warmer toed skin, it's best to avoid these colors as they can make your skin look sallow.
- Cool Brown: This color is great on anyone who has warm undertones. Think chestnut, mocha, and daek chocolate. If you have some yellow undertones, these colors are perfect for brightening up your complexion.
- Warm Brown: Golden brown, honey and amber are all excellent shades if you have medium skin with warm undertones.
- Cool Red: These kinds of reds, such as true red, auburn and burgundy, look best on people with fair skin and cool undertones. Against that skim, the colors will really pop without making you look ruddy.
- Warm Red: A warmer red, such as strawberry blond, copper or rust shades, is best on those with neutral or bluish skin tones. Make sure you avoid over washing to keep the color as vibrant as you can. This color lends itself to some old school glamor, so try giving yourself some curls with a hair iron set.
- Cool Black: If you've got warmer undertones, these shades will look amazing on you. Try liquorice, blue-black or espresso. Those with some yellow in their skin will find that the black cancels it out and brings a more porcelain tone to your skin.
- Warm Black: A cool undertone with pale or fair skin is needed to pull off a warm black. Try dark mocha, cocoa or brown black.
- Non traditional colors: It's more difficult to find a good match when it comes to crazier colors, but it can be done. Pinks, oranges and yellows often look better on those with cool toned skin. Colors such as blue and purple look great if you have yellow, warm toned skin. However, any color can look great if done correctly, so consult with your stylist.
As you can see, there's all kinds of colors that you can try. You may not have even thought about them, as you've not thought that they may suit you. It's actually amazing how many colors there are out there that could be amazing on you. Get a whole new shade, then jazz it up with a new hairstyle. Have your hair lopped into a bob, or buy some new hair curler wands. You'll look amazing.