Are silicone products good for your hair? The answer is probably not, and we’re going to talk about that shortly. First of all, we want to say that apart from argan oil leave in hair treatment, silicone is probably going to be one of the best ways to condition your hair and get it the shine that it deserves. There are actually a few great benefits to using silicone, for example, it’s perfect for fighting against both humidity, heat, sun damage, curling irons, and more. That’s right, it creates an impenetrable shield between your hair and the outside world, making it a great choice for anyone who cannot seem to keep their hair under control.
Now, with that being said, there are a few other things to consider. For example, did you know that silicone can build up on the hair, thus causing that impenetrable barrier to become your worst nightmare? In fact, you’re probably going to come across more than a few forums online that are going to tell you to get rid of the silicone in favor of a water based solution, but we’re here to tell you that this is not necessarily the solution. In fact, there are still ways for you to enjoy the benefits of silicone based products while keeping your hair safe.
Beyond Argan Oil Leave in – How to Keep your Hair Safe from Silicone
The problem, as we mentioned earlier, is that silicone builds up and creates a shield, which means you’re not going to be able to wash your hair properly. Well, on the bright side, this does do a great job of protecting your hair from heat damage. Over time, however, your hair is going to start to feel limp and greasy. It might even start to feel dry, so what do you do? The only solution here is to use a clarifying shampoo. This will not only clean your hair, it will help to strip out any chemicals that may have been causing your hair to give off a bad aesthetic. In other words, it works with more than just silicone!
Getting it DoneUsing clarifying shampoo to remove silicone buildup from your hair does not have to be difficult, but you will need to make sure that you’re doing it right, so take the following steps into account:
- Detangle your Hair – You’re going to want to do this with either your fingers or a wide-tooth comb. Actually, if you happen to have one of our styling combs, this is a great way of detangling your hair. If not, check it out.
- Get it Wet – You’re going to want to remove any loose dirt or debris from your hair at this point, so wet your hair with some warm water.
- Clarify – At this point, you’ll want to use the clarifying shampoo, but you will also want to make sure that you are only using about a quarter sized amount of it. Once you are done, rinse thoroughly. These shampoos are designed and specially formulated to help get rid of silicones, gels, and other items that might build up on your hair. If you have a particularly heavy buildup, you might want to repeat the process more than once.
- Moisturize! – Now it’s time to use your favorite moisturizing shampoo. This step is entirely optional, but you need to remember that unlike your argan hair care routine, clarifying shampoo does a great job of stripping, well, everything from your hair. Moisturizing shampoo will restore the moisture and will help to detangle. Once you get done with this step, make sure you comb your hair out with a wide tooth comb.
- Dry it Out – You can sit under a hooded dryer for a while (if you have one), or you can simply use a handheld one. Once you’ve finished drying your hair (completely) use a leave in conditioner to finish the job.
Getting rid of the silicone doesn’t have to be hard, and most importantly, you can continue using it to give your hair the sleek shine that you crave.