Hey Naturalistas! So if you haven’t heard the news, Argan oil is the new coconut oil - actually it could be even better if you have natural hair.
This “liquid gold” miracle oil is quickly taking the place of other carrier oils such as Jojoba and coconut oil as the go-to serum for hair protection and treatment. Extracted from the kernels of Argan fruit, Argan oil gives life to dry, damaged and tangled natural hair.
Over the past few months I have been experimenting with a lot of oils on my hair, particularly coconut, olive and almond oil. I have found for the most that oil is oil, and while they all gave me great results, there doesn’t seem to be a big difference apart from the smell. That was until I tried Argan Oil of course, which I have found my natural hair responds really well to!
Whenever I use Argan oil in my haircare routine, I find my hair is incredibly smooth and silky all the way down to my rough ends. It reduces the amount of frizz greatly, combats humidity and gives my hair healthy shine. What I love about it most is that is doesn’t give my hair that crunchy feeling like Coconut oil does. Plus it helps keep my hair stretched out instead of causing it to shrink back down like Jojoba oil does. And finally, it seals my hair much better than Almond oil because it is a much thicker, less greasy oil.
Here are a few more benefits of Argan Oil for natural hair:
- Argan oil hydrates the curly, coily hair in a natural way, making hair softer and reducing roughness.
- Argan oil penetrates into the hair shaft and enhances the elasticity of hair which helps prevent breakage - essential for black hair!
- Argan oil has been proven to be very nourishing to the scalp, enhancing hair growth.
- Argan oil is excellent for uncontrollable and unmanageable hair. It restores the smoothness of hair and makes hair manageable again.
- Argan oil eliminates brittleness in dyed hair, and also increases the life of color treated hair, surpassing Jojoba oil in effectiveness.
- Natural antioxidants present in Argan oil strengthen the hair by repairing damage. The Vitamin E in Argan oil makes it a tremendous agent for hair treatment. Many external and internal agents like heat, over styling and oxidization damage the hair. Vitamin E present in Argan oil is very useful in restoring the natural hair and renewing and repairing the damage caused by heat, chemicals or other destructive agents.