3 DIY Hair Masks For Every Hair Type
Spring break is coming, and chances are your hair needs some serious love.
Blow dryers, products, and weather take a toll on our locks, so we've turned to these DIY hair masks for help. And the best part? All three recipes are made up of 4 all natural ingredients or less - and you can probably find all of them in your refrigerator.
Check out these hair masks that tackle the D's - Dryness, Damage and Dandruff.
*Feel free to double any of these recipes for long hair :-)
Banana Olive Oil Hair Mask - Damaged hair
Surprise! Banana is a natural hair repairing remedy. Split ends getting you down? Try using this banana hair treat on your locks to repair the damages.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ** You can honey for an extra kick ;-)
1. Peeled and chop your ripe banana.
2. Place in blender and grind to a smooth, lump-free puree. Try and get rid of all the lumps!
3. Add olive oil and blend again until frothy and creamy.
4. In the shower, wet hair and apply the hair mask evenly through your hair with fingers. You can work this mask into the scalp as well.
5. Allow it to sit for 10 - 15 minutes.
6. Rinse off thoroughly. Style as usual
Get ready to reveal hydrated, conditioned, super shiny hair to the world!
Honey Avocado Mask - Dry Hair
If your hair is dry and dull, this avocado mask is sure to help it sparkle and shine! Try not to eat this one ok?
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2-3 drops grapefruit essential oil (optional)
1. Prep avocado. Peel, pit and smash.
2. In a mixer or blender, add in the avocado, olive oil, raw honey and essential oil. Whip ingredients together on high until smooth. No lumps!
3. Slightly dampen hair with water and spread mask onto hair. You can use your hands or a application brush. I recommend working in sections!
4. Once applied, clip your hair onto the top of your head, cover with shower cap, and heat. You can either sit under a hair dryer for 15 minutes or sit in the sun for 30-45 minutes i whichever you prefer, weather permitting.
5. Remove shower cap and rinse out mask in shower with warm water thoroughly.
6. Wash and condition hair, if needed. Then style it as usual!
Say hello to soft, silky hydrated hair!
Egg and Vinegar - Dandruff
Feelin’ a little flaky? Try this easy recipe the cleanse your hair of dandruff and hydrate your lovely locks. Turns out egg really is a great thing to put in your hair. :-)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Beat egg in a bowl.
2. Add vinegar and olive oil and mix well.
3. Using a wide toothed comb, apply mixture throughout the hair, combing from root all the way to the tip. Let it sit for at least 45 minutes to 2 hours max. Make sure you pay attention to the time!
4. Rinse hair using regular shampoo and skip using conditioner. Style as usual!
** Warning - Never ever use hot water to rinse off hair masks containing egg! This could lead to breakage. Always use cold water to rinse the egg out off your hair.
Hair should be left silky, soft and manageable. Oh and flake free too :-)
Great information on DYI hair treatments! I will try. Thanks