by HSI Professional | Dec 31 2016
When using a flat iron, there is more you need to consider than how to properly style your hair. There’s also safety to consider. After all, flat irons are electrical products that produce high degrees of heat. You’ll want to make sure that your hair remains safe from damage, you remain safe from burns and that your flat iron remains safe from damage. Here are top flat iron straightener safety tips that you need to know!
Tips for Safe Hair
- Always use a heat protectant before you iron hair. Heat protectants come in a wide variety of forms including sprays, creams and conditioners. By using a heat protectant you will lock in your hair's natural moisture thus preventing it from becoming dry and frizzy. You can even get heat protectants made with argan oil, which is quickly becoming recognized as the best conditioner you can get for your hair.
- Thoroughly dry your hair. If you’ve ever dropped water onto a hot pan, then you’ve seen how the water pops and fizzles. If you run a hot flat iron over wet hair, then you’ll fry your hair, causing it a lot of damage. So do yourself a favor and dry your hair thoroughly using this method: Wrap your hair in a towel to soak up excess water, add heat protectant to accelerate the speed of drying and then completely blow-dry your hair before using a flat iron straightener.
- Glide the flat iron through your hair. Always keep the flat iron straightener gliding through your hair. If it stays on one spot too long, you risk singeing your hair, which will destroy its structure and cause it to break.
Tips for Safe Usage
- Use a mat or special flat iron heat resistant stand. While your iron hair, you are going to want to put your straightener down at certain times during the process. Always place your straightener on a heat resistant mat, clean non-flammable countertop or on a heat resistant stand such as the Heat Resistant Flat Iron Stand from HSI Professional. The goal is to avoid placing flat irons on carpet, towels or other materials that could melt or catch on fire. Also make sure that all of your product bottles are a safe distance from the flat iron hotplate.
- Unplug your flat iron after using it. Even though your flat iron may be turned off, any plugged in appliance is still electrically live. Unplug your flat iron to avoid any chance of an unexpected electrical problem.
- Keep your flat iron away from water. Do not use your flat iron next to water to iron hair such as sinks or tubs with water in them.
Tips for Keeping Your Flat Iron Safe
- Avoid internal damage. Although it is quite tempting to simply wrap the cord around your flat iron when you are finished, you should never do this. Wrapping the cord around your still-warm flat iron, especially if you wrap it tightly, can cause shorts within the cord or burn the electrical cord, exposing wires. A short in the cord could cause your iron to turn off unexpectedly the next time you use it, or to not turn back on at all. A better bet is to lay the cord back and forth loosely on top of itself and then store the flat iron.
- Avoid water. Not only could you risk an electric shock by letting your flat iron touch water, but the water could also ruin your flat iron.
- Clean your flat iron regularly. Keeping your flat iron clean will ensure that it is able to glide smoothly through your hair. Cleaning your flat iron straightener is quick and easy. Simply pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth and wipe the plates while your flat iron is still warm to the touch. The alcohol will soften any buildup, which you can then wipe off as the flat iron continues to cool. Ideally, you should clean your flat iron after every use.
- Only style clean hair. One key tip that will help your flat iron straightener s last longer is to make sure your hair is clean before you style it. Be sure to wash your hair before styling in order to clean up grease and any product buildup that could potentially end up on your flat iron. Clean hair also allows your flat iron straightener to pull as smoothly as possible through your hair for better results and healthier hair.
HSI Professional Cares About Your HairAt HSI Professional, we specialize in top quality hair care products that will keep your hair looking healthy and shiny as well as keep it manageable. You’ll find only products that use the latest and greatest technologies such as our ceramic tourmaline ionic flat irons with digital LCD displays or products that use the highest quality ingredients such as our line of argan oil shampoos, conditioners, leave-in treatments and heat protectants. We guarantee that our products will ensure that you never have a bad hair day again!