by HSI Professional | Jan 10 2017
You love your curly hair, but it's time for a change. When you're tired of your look, using flat irons on your hair can be a great way to change things up and super straight, sleek locks. However, if you have curly hair you might think that your hair won't ever lie flat. Read on to read our HSI professional guide to getting the straight hair you've been dreaming of.
Can Curly Hair Be Made To Lie Straight?
Absolutely! There's nothing that you and a good flat iron can't do when it comes to styling your hair. No matter how dense your curls are, you can tame them with a little bit of preparation and elbow grease. If you follow our guide, you'll get amazing results every time.
What Tools Will You Need?
If you're serious about getting straight hair, you're going to need some tools in your arsenal. Here's what you'll need to get the job done right.
- Hair clips: These clips will be used to section out your hair, which is important so you get every bit of hair straightened.
- Hair protectant: This styling product is something you really shouldn't go without. It'll protect your hair from the heat and prevent damage. You can find really effective sprays in our HSI Professional Hair Products range online.
- Smoothing shampoo and conditioner: These will help prepare your hair for the ironing process, and make flat ironing that little bit easier.
- Good quality flat irons: Of course, you're going to need your flat irons. We suggest buying a good quality set, as they'll make the job easier and protect your hair from damage. We have a great range in our store, so check them out and see what works for you.
- Blow dryer: You'll need to dry your hair before you can straighten it. Buy a good quality blow dryer, such as the ones you can find in our store, and you'll have dry hair without the damage.
- Hair brush: You'll need this for drying your hair, and for brushing out once you're done with the flat irons.
A Step By Step Guide
Ok, now you've got all your equipment together, it's time to get that hair straight and start wowing people!
Step One: The first thing you'll need to do is hop in the shower and wash your hair with the shampoo and conditioner. These will smooth your hair out and make it much easier to straighten. They key to good hair is good preparation, and that begins in the shower.
Step Two: Once you've washed your hair, it's time to dry it. Get your blow dryer and dry your hair, pointing the nozzle of the dryer down the shaft. This will smooth it out even more. Always dry your hair before straightening it. Trying to flat iron it wet can cause real damage to your hair, as you're effectively frying it.
Step Three: Now your hair is dry, section it out using your hair clips. Putting it in sections will save you a lot of time and hassle. You'll be able to see at a glance which sections haven't been straightened yet, which means you won't keep going over the same parts. It also means you won't damage your hair further.
Step Four: Turn on your flat irons: Switch the flat irons on, and set them to the lowest temperature that works on your hair. This may take some experimentation, but it's worth doing to ensure you don't burn your hair. Then, let them heat up to the right temperature.
Step Five: Use heat protectant: Take a section and spray it with the heat protectant, making sure it penetrates all of the hair. This will form a layer between your hair and the flat irons, reducing damage.
Step Six: Iron your hair: Now it's time to get to work. Take each section and place it between the plates, ensuring you don't press them too hard together. This can cause dents in your hair, which you don't want. Then, glide the irons down that section of hair, not stopping for too long at any point. You shouldn't need to go over that section more than a couple of times. If you find you do, you may need to up the temperature or create smaller sections of hair.
Step Seven: And you're done! Let your hair cool, then brush it through and add hair product if desired. Your hair should now be poker straight and look amazing. Now you know the secret of turning your curly locks into the straight hair you've always dreamed of.
As you can see, it's a lot easier than you were expecting it to be. Get out there and show everyone how amazing you look!