by Jade Feasel | Nov 25 2016
You love your shampoo, but do you know what’s in it? If reading the ingredient label feels like reading a foreign language, you could be looking at toxic chemicals that are harmful to the body (and yes, can potentially lead to cancer, hair loss, and rashes). Keep in mind that any shampoo without sulfate will not suds up very well, so if your shampoo creates a ton of suds with little effort, you may be using a bad shampoo.
Check this list of 15 shampoos to avoid and this quick list of the worst offenders you should steer clear of:
- Parabens – these chemicals, which have a similar composition to hormones, are used to prolong the shelf life of your shampoo. They are highly irritant, may affect hormonal balance, and have been linked to organ toxicity and reproductive damage.
- SLS and SLES (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate) – cheap and widely used detergents which strip hair off its natural oils and may cause rashes and hair loss. The latter often contains a carcinogen ingredient (dioxane) that may lead to kidney damage.
- Fragrance – not as nice as they sound, fragrances are a mix of over 3000 chemicals used in the beauty industry. Though not all of them are has harmful as the worst offenders, be careful what you allow in your shampoo. Made from phthalates and petrochemicals, they can result in nervous system damage, liver toxicity, asthma, allergies, dermatitis and even cancer.
- PEG (Polyethylene Glycol) – this petroleum-based toxicant causes irritation, is likely to interfere with human development, and may be contaminated with the carcinogen 1,4-dioxane.
- Triclosan – an antibacterial agent used as a preservative, this ingredient is highly toxic causing skin, eye and lung irritation, immune system problems and endocrine disruption.
Worried after checking your shampoo label? Don't hesitate in making a switch, treat your hair and your body right! So you can focus on the good stuff about a shower, like making out of this world hairstyles!
Want hassle free, healthy, hair care? The CareBox is a new, and totally customizable subscription box that comes with all you need to get and keep healthy, shiny, full head of hair. Right not it comes with a FREE Glider Straightening Brush just for signing up for your first month!